 Trains / 9222
Re: new trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:44:50 GMT

Personally, I wouldn't think that they would go as far as computer
controlled layouts considering most individuals would not want to move
their computer close to their track nor do they usually have enough
space for even a temporary layout in whatever room a computer might
typically reside.  Besides, operating a layout still needs to remain a
fairly simple task otherwise Lego risks losing the younger market.
While the older crowd would go "Ooo" and "Ahhh", it would lose an
element of innocence, simplicity, and awe that results from taking
little blocks of plastic and creating whatever we can dream up.

Anyway, I think a better solution might be along the lines of having a
regulator with essentially a small array of rheostats or dials or
sliders so that it looks similar to an audio mixing board.  Each
slider corresponds to a certain wheelset code (A, B, C, etc.) and each
wheelset has a dial on the bottom to tell the wheelset which code to
pay attention to.  This would be a system similar to the X10 and the
like that allows you to control the lamps and appliances in your
house.  This would allow you to set all of the engines on one train to
the same number or letter.  You could also have multiple regulators in
the same area just powering separate lines.  This allows Lego to keep
a simple and intuitive system that would not be a far cry from the
current system.  Also, it would not be difficult to produce; just a
couple of IC's and voila.

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 02:44:14 GMT, Chris Gray <cg@ami-cg.GraySage.COM>