 Fun / 338
Re: new trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:42:55 GMT

"Bryan Kinkel" <helpdesk@loseyourmind.com> writes:

I have pretty much put immediate Lego purchases on hold based on the notion
that Lego will be releasing new train items soon. Even with some of the
bargains going around right now, I would much rather have new 9v train items
than a bunch of $10 Slave I sets.

I sort-of agree with that. However, I'm officially supposed to be a
castle fan, so I can continue to buy sets for castle parts. :-)

And yes, I too am hoping for some sort of expanded DCC capable trains.
However, I hope that a dedicated computer connection is *not* required. I
can see using a computer to program then download instructions into a mobile
transformer or control block. But my Lego room does not have enough room for
a computer and my layout is not large enough to justify one.

If they require a computer to run the trains, I would drop Lego trains
and stick to castle, Technic and model team. Lego does not support
non-MS platforms, and I have no desire to buy another computer, nor to
have to use Lego-designed software to run trains. Personally, I don't
think this is likely. DCC systems don't download software to trains - they
simply provide a system for remote manual control of several trains (and
other controlled devices) over a common supply system. (I could be out
of date on this, however.)

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/