 Trains / 910
    Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars —Christopher Masi
    Larry Pieniazek wrote: snip stuff about footnoting (...) Right the wheels are not on the same axel. At first I thought this was so the wheels could travel at different speeds, but differentials are not brought up elsewhere in trains (are they) so I (...) (25 years ago, 22-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars —Larry Pieniazek
      (...) That is in fact the reason that they are separate. If they are on a common axle, the outer wheel tends to want to climb up and rub the flange against the inner side of the rail (remember, train wheels have a tapered profile, the diameter on (...) (25 years ago, 23-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars —Gregor Benedikt Rochow
     (...) the (...) encouter (...) ends (...) Exactly; rather than the wheelset turning the cars, the first car to enter a curve (or leave it) turns against the "stationary" second car, while the wheelset turns "half as fast", or to half the angle, (...) (25 years ago, 23-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: high speed railways and strange flat bed cars —Frank Filz
    Christopher Masi wrote in message <36F6B0BC.62F3D5E@cm...ne.edu>... (...) the (...) up (...) The only place I have ever seen differentials mentioned was in relation to geared locomotives like Shays, Climaxes, and Heislers. I think it was Shay who (...) (25 years ago, 24-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)