 Trains / 8987
Re: NQT - Not Quite Talgo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 18:07:36 GMT

"Christopher Masi" <cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote in message
news:3A50BD12.363113D8@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu...

http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr/temp/nqt-a/

Iain,

  I was looking at your pictures, and a thought occurred to me. Have you • tried
lowering the cars? Right now your cars sit on top of the wheelsets, and • you have
rounded off the bottoms of your car with inverted slopes. It might look • cool if
the bottom of the car was closer to the track, and if the wheels were • surrounded
by the car.

Just a thought,
Chris

That was one of the first thoughts after I put the basic idea together. It
looks too high. The real original TALGO trains were very, very low slung -
in fact, the doors between segments would place your knee right about at
axle height as you walked through! This is because the TALGO uses split
axles - in fact, there are no axles. The left and right wheels are completly
separate.

I think I wanted to do something at this height because then it looks a bit
better - maybe, closer to the Metroliner-typ height? I didn't like how "low"
the 4561 cars are. I wanted to have the diaphram between cars, too. :) Maybe
I could have the end cars with steps up, and then have all the other
segments lowered. I wouldn't then know where to put the pivot between cars
though... and I don't really have that many detailed peices.

P.S. The action shots are neat.

I have fun taking those. I can place my video camera about 1 cm from the
riders and still focus!

    Iain