 Trains / 8612
Re: Proof of concept MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 01:28:35 GMT

The Acela coaches are exactly what inspired this. One of my co-workers was
on the Acela design team at IDEO. He and I were pouring over the photos of
the Acela just last night before I went home and built this. It was great,
he was pointing out actual sketches that he had done that they had scanned
and use for background art work on the web site. Its a small world!
SteveB

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
This is a great project.  Good idea, Steve and JT.

I've been delaying even prototyping Acela coaches, for this dual tapered issue
is applicable to the Acela train coaches, too, and I hadn't thought of anything
short of severely hinge-piece and 1x2 thin-wall pieces....

I'm with JT on the "ridges", since the Acela coaches are smooth, as well.

Steve, I like where you've pointed us!  Thanks!

later,
James Mathis
PS:  Your ideas are keeping me busy!  ;-) Cool.

In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:
Wow, that's funny I've been working on a similar idea. I want to make a few
models of the local transit trains in Atlanta (MARTA), and they are tapered
at the top and bottom. with the windows tilting in a bit. It's more like the
middle of the coach bulges out. I might have to pick that project back up
and see if we come up with similar results, I'm not sure I like the look of
the hinged side panels for what I'm working on, the trains are very smooth
and plane, the ridges wouldn't look right.

Keep us updated on your progress.

jt

--
James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club
sebarile-MOBL <steve.e.barile@intel.com> wrote in message
Hi All,
Although this could be called a MOC, I use the word concept because it's
just a throw together to flush out a technique...

I was looking at James Matis's Tan & White coach yesterday on brickshelf • and
wanted to try a new relief technique that I saw there. The relief comes • from
a row of hinged panels like Dan Parker uses on his small covered gondolas • or
the side panels used on this LEGO set flatbed train car see
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4543).

Tapered coaches side view at:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SEBarile/coaches/TC/tc_side_scan.jpg

Tapered coaches other shots at:

This is a 6 wide at the base plate and widens to 7 wide at the base of the
windows and remains 7-wide to the top. I would like to try to taper back • to
6 wide at the top with windows slightly angled. The 1/2 stud offset is
created by placing 2x 1.5x4 plate elements o**o on top of a 2x2 brick. • (see
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=23018)

SteveB
PNLTC