 Trains / 8560
Re: NELUG participates in December 2nd and 3rd Greenberg Show.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ma
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:45:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.general, Steve Martin writes:
In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley writes:

Anyway no need to repeat what is on the website here.  If you have a question
for us we will be glad to try and answer your questions.

http://www.nelug.org/greenberg1200/

I'm curious about how you came to decide to use 4 wide tables and what
problems you ran into.

Well I can think of a couple reasons why we went with 4 wide tables
(40.25"x40.25").

1.  It was more economical.  If we were to do 3bp x 6bp you only get one table
out of a 4'x8' sheet.  This way you get 2 tables per sheet.

That seemed a bit of a waste to me as well.

2.  We liked the flexibility of 4 deep as opposed to 3 deep.

Actually this was the main reason for me.  While designing my layout (in
TD), most sections had 3 and 4 tracks side by side.  It just didn't leave
much room for roads and buildings.

I can't think of any problems we ran into other than we had Home Depot cut the
tables and they are about 1/8" short in one direction and 1/8" long in the
other.  Not something a little fudging doesn't take care of though.

I had mine cut at the store (Lowe's) as well.  Amazingly, they got it right.
A good thing too since I've got 16 sections instead of 4.  If they had been
off, that would have been a lot of fudging to do.  I think I might try 4x8
though for my next extension.

One advantage to 3bp x 6bp tables however is that they fit 48x48 baseplates in
a 2bp x 4bp setup.  That was one factor we were willing to give up for the
advantages listed above.

Actually, you can still do that.  You would just have a border of 32x32
baseplates on 3 sides.

Regards,
Steve Martin
martinsa@mail.com