 Trains / 8499
Re: Automated RT - Acceleration with RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 08:14:53 GMT

So... I've got an eastbound/westbound track. Station A, B, and C would all
be connected to one of three outputs on the RCX. I'll figure out sensing
later. The sections of track between the stations, which are insulated from
the stations themselves (I'm assuming it's possible to isolate sections -
how might I do that?), would be powered via a speed regulator at some
constant voltage. Ideally I'd have two trains (although that's a little ways
away; I'll likely just start up with one and see how that goes), so let's
start at Station A.

The best type of sensor for this is the mindstorm light sensor with a LEGO
light.  You put the light sensor on one side of the track and on the other
side put the LEGO light.  (LEGO Light package #5310 cost 5.5 at S@H)  For
best result use a 1x2 brick with hole to insert the light brick and for the
light sensor.  This provides a better "beam of light" for the light sensor.
In your code use a value of 60 or more.  So if the light beam is cut, the
you can tell the RCX that a train is present.

ex.
if (Light Sensor Value >= 60) // light values of 60+ means that the light
{// sensor is NOT getting enough light becuase some object is blocking the
// lego lamp.
<stop train>

RCX Output A would accelerate the train, by presumabally ramping up the
power output (from 0-7) at some spaced time interval between the PWM level
shifts. A snesor would say "ok, we've cleared the platform and the train is
on the powered section". Train proceeds on the Westbound track to station B.
On reaching station B's block, a sensor begins the PWM rampdown to
decelerate the train, and stop it at at that platform for some dwell. Chime.
Accelerate train, travel until cleared of station B block onto the
continuous voltage section... and into terminus at Station C.

Here, the train would stop, dwell, chime... then leave. Spring switches? Can
that be done with 9V? I'm hoping so... because that'll simplify the
direction change sequence.

So I guess I need... jeez, 8 of those clips that go from the 9V connector to
the rails. Are those available separately as a S@H item?

You can get them thru LEGO Shop@Home.  Tehitem number is 5305.  They cost
$6.75 each.

This'll be a lot of fun if I can get this running, I'm sure. I guess the
main question I have is how nicely do the 9V motors run with the RCX? How
are other people doing acceleration/deceleration curves?

I've been doing collision avoidance with my lego train using RCX.  See my
website for the NQC code and more.
http://www,geocities.com/jedi_agh  (Click on mindstorms and trains)

I've tested speed up/downs with my trains and I can tell you the following.
Motors Speed        Output level of RCX
Stopped                     0
Too slow                    1
(No movement with load on engine)
Too slow                     2
(Train can move with load on engine - Load is 2 train cars.  The cars I have
tested are from the 4561 Express Train(
Medium Speed                 3
(Good for tracks with lots of curves)
Medium Speed                 4
Fast                         5
(Train may de-rail if track has too many curves back to back)
Too fast                      6
(50-75% of the time train de-rails.
Extremely fast                7
Train will derail on most (85%) of the curves