 Trains / 8248
Re: Race pictures from Atlanta GATS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:46:46 GMT

Kevin McMillin <mcmillins@prodigy.net> wrote in message
news:G438o8.3uw@lugnet.com...
Wow!  Cool. Good Idea. did any train win more times than others?  Did • weight
make a difference?  I've noticed after timing a couple of the same car on
the same layout at the same max speed, they would finish about a couple of
100ths seconds slower.

Both of the trains I made seem to run about the same speed. Weight did make
a difference, actually the heavier engine ran better. I figured the weight
help the wheels get traction on the rails. When I race an engine with
nothing on it, it tended to spin out a bit before it took off. One of the
trains that the kids brought to the show was really fast, he had got the
balance of weight just right on his train. So I will be doing some more
testing in the next month or so before we race again.

The real trick was keeping both tracks straight, I found that if one of the
tracks had a slight bend or twist it would be the slower lane. So I put
bricks under all the race tracks and made sure they were spaced apart from
each other evenly.

I'm working on putting a timer in the control system for the trains so not
only can I tell who won, but get a Studs per Second (SPS) for the racers.

Here are the rules for the Drag Railers so far:

1- Each racer must have both an engine and one cart (rolling stock),
currently it doesn't matter if you push or pull the cart. This may change in
the future.
2- The engine and cart must be connected via some type of coupler.
3- The engine and cart can be no longer than 48 studs long combined. And no
wider than 10 studs.
4- Each racer must carry a driver
5- Only one engine is allowed in Single Engine Stock class. I'm hoping other
classes will follow, such as Double Engine, and even Modified classes.

Currently I'm working on a web site for the Drag Railers where I can post
the official rules and the standings in the future.

jt

-----
James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club