 Trains / 8115
Re: train show for january 13-14
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 04:38:26 GMT

How did your lego exibit go?Do we just contact them and ask for space?(Kai
has a sheet with number i guess i could call)

OK, I am going to ask someone who has done a Lego show to add freely!

I have only been to one show as a exibitor with lego.  That was with PNLTC, and
not on my own.  Dan Parker was "the man" for it, and it was not a GATS or any
other similar show...

Experience as a exibitor at shows:

Toronto Hobby Show (on this weekend, until 6pm tomorrow night, if you go, see
my dad, Dave, at the TSME stand...and play with my loco for me too eh?)

TSME (Toronto Society of Model Engineers) has had a stand there each year since
(well, 1979, at least :).  TSME is NOT payed more than nominal (about $150 Cdn)
for appearance fee.  Show is _long_, from 12-10 fri, 10-10 sat, 10-6 sun.  The
Platelayers (one of my other clubs, OO model railways mostly) also used to
attend (not sure that they do anymore).  Again, attendence money was not all
that great, and there was NOT free coffee& Dognuts.  (big draw!).

-big advantage, I got to play yardmaster on the Erin Mills N-track layout.

Toronto Model Railway Show- The Platelayers by tradition did NOT get payed,
instead we take 3 tables as exchange (about $60-100 worth of tables) for a
bring & sell.  Used to have 3+ layouts, plus painting/building.  Much nicer
show, in some ways, because it closed at 6pm, and was less crowded (about 15k
people vice 45k for Hobby show)

A fun show to do, because they had unlimited dognuts and coffee.  (I went from
86-89 as a visitor, and 90-96 as a exibitor)

Great British Train Show- (The Platelayers)
This is the only show I have been to with my own layouts.  One year, had 6x18
layout, got about $180 gate money (lots, considering).  Show is biannual, and
last time I went (1998) I just had the small layout, so didn't get anything
(except a good meal from the promotor :)

Victoria Railway Show-I'm over committed to this one for next year (again!)
already.  I belong to 2 clubs who exibit here (Vancouver Island ME, with live
steam rides) and The Gangers (oo scale stuff).  I might try and get a table at
this years and do a small lego display, but unsure of the manning.  I'm spread
thin with the models anyway...

Some gate money is given from this show (not sure of amounts) but it is like
the Platelayers show, dependent on the # of people through the gate on the day
as to the exact amount of $$$ given out.

Generally, the smaller shows give less out as a garantee, and more if the
attendance is good (that year).  The GBTS is a very narrow margin (Email me if
you want some more info, I have some more on it in terms of finance, but am not
going to go posting it).  But, the show tends to me more friendly, and modeler
orented.  For example, at GBTS, I feel free to wander around, with the layout
unguarded, but at The Hobby Show, you would be nuts to do that...

James