 Trains / 8099
8098  |  8100
Subject:
Canadian Lines...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 03:43:41 GMT

  Hey, Vancouver and Alberta Clubs...what are you waiting for? ;-)

  I just got home from a trip across central Canada, mainly by rail.
(Ottawa - Toronto - Winnipeg - Edmonton - Jasper - Banff - Calgary!)

  OK, modeling The Canadian (VIA #001 and #002) in all silver would
be practically impossible. BUT, that said, you could do a LOT with
the more commons colors for the main lines!

  Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) - almost ALL RED! :-)

  Canadian National Railway (CN) - red, black, and white

  VIA passenger service (VIA) - yellow, grey, and blue

  The commuter trains in Toronto (GO) - white and green

  I'm really jazzed by some of the video and postcards I was able
to bring home from this trip, and I'm going to try to model some
VAI and CN rolling stock and locomotives. :-)

  The only disappointment I had was that I couldn't visit train
yards on a photo safari. (Something about all of those signs posted
with the trespassing fines, due to the Safety Act of 1998... :-(
I've had much better luck across Europe and in Japan.

  The hardest parts to take were;

    1) Edmonton. The VIA trains pull through a freight yard, then
        back up through half the yard, into a small station near
        the airport. As we went through the yard, I saw some half-
        height, no-cab power assist locomotives attached to other
        regular deisels. Since they were CN, they were all black,
        making the details *VERY* hard to see. Lots of other work
        trains and snow equipment in the yard, but we were moving
        moving too fast to see much, and then I couldn't walk across
        train bridge (over the freeway) to wander around... :-(

    2) Calgary. A great-looking train yard out near the airport,
        with a locomotive works, and looks like a round house
        (turntable) with square walls to the building...I really
        wanted to get more details there. There was a second yard
        on the east side of town, near the industrial area. We only
        passed it on the freeway (on the bus), so no chance to get
        the video camera out.

  I did manage to find one great train book while I was there, with
pictures from around the world! I got it for $10 (Canadian!), so I
didn't even put a note in my Palm Pilot about the ISBN. After only
finding a few other books (about $50-60 Canadian), and no Canadian
train magazines, I knew I had to buy the book, and find a way to
carry it home. Email me if you might want the book titles. If a bunch
of folks ask, I'll post the info here later.

  Say, isn't there a core of train folks in Edmonton? Didn't they just
have a gathering in a hanger near the airport? (Any of you have friends
in the rail community there, or firends in the RCMP? ;-)

    -Z-   http://www.baylug.org/zonker/