 Trains / 8110
Re: Canadian Lines...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 17:47:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David K. Z. Harris writes:
Hey, Vancouver and Alberta Clubs...what are you waiting for? ;-)

I just got home from a trip across central Canada, mainly by rail.
(Ottawa - Toronto - Winnipeg - Edmonton - Jasper - Banff - Calgary!)

So why didn't you stop and say hi? ;)

   1) Edmonton. The VIA trains pull through a freight yard, then
       back up through half the yard, into a small station near
       the airport. As we went through the yard, I saw some half-
       height, no-cab power assist locomotives attached to other
       regular deisels. Since they were CN, they were all black,
       making the details *VERY* hard to see. Lots of other work
       trains and snow equipment in the yard, but we were moving
       moving too fast to see much, and then I couldn't walk across
       train bridge (over the freeway) to wander around... :-(

There are some places from which good pics can be taken of the train yard, but
they are none of them nearby.  It takes a good telephoto and a tripod to get
anything that isn't a long helicopter shot. :/

Say, isn't there a core of train folks in Edmonton? Didn't they just
have a gathering in a hanger near the airport? (Any of you have friends
in the rail community there, or firends in the RCMP? ;-)

Not off hand, but I betcha there's some people in the local modelers club that
do, and we got on OK with those guys at the show.

James