 Trains / 7827
Re: Newbie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:41:02 GMT

Duq wrote:

Hi all,

I'm coming out of my dark ages as it seems to be called in these lists. Last
year I went to a shop to my my daughter her first Lego and thought I'd just
get myself a little Technic cart. Oops. We're now 12 sets later, and all my
old Lego no longer lives in my parents attic....
Anyway, to the point. My main interests at the moment are Robotics and
Serious Modelling. For the latter it seems trains are a great opportunitie:
nice scale, enough detail. And growing up with a dad who has 50 N-scale
trains.... Anyway, my problem is where to start? There are simply no
intersting train sets at the moment. What sets would be recommended? Or what
parts should I get from Brickbay, Baylit and the likes? I'd like to start
with some small engines, steam or Diesel...

Thanx!

Duq

Even though at the moment the train sets available from LEGO are not all that
appealing, they are the best way to get train specific parts like motors,
wheelsets, bogies, and buffers and magnets especially if you can find the train
sets on sale. Once you get the nuts and bolts specific to trains you need to get
parts to build with. The only real way to know what parts you want is to start
building and find out what parts you need. Usually you will find that you need
plates (1/3 height LEGO bricks) lots of plates, in lots of sizes and lots of
colors. The next thing you will quickly find you need more of are slopes (aka
roof bricks) inverted and regular. Of course you will need windshields and
windows, but if you are doing freight you won't need that many. You will also
need "accent" pieces. Little faucets, 1x2 plates with ladders, railings, tiles,
grill tiles, corrugated bricks, etc....

Happy building,
Chris
--