 Trains / 772
Re: Original wagon designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 04:00:22 GMT

Huw Millington wrote:

Inspired by some of the wagon models by Larry P and James Mathis, I have had
a go at a few of my own, based on British prototypes.

These are all rather nice, thanks for sharing! How flattering to be
mentioned in the same breath as Master Builder James Mathis. :-)

At the URL below, you'll find LDraw images, photos of the models and of the
prototypes they are based on, of a bogie steel coil carrier

Do they leave the coils uncovered in the UK? In the US coil cars have
covers to protect the coils from the elements. See, for example, my
model:
http://my.voyager.net/lar/coil_side.jpg
which is on my slush list 5 (still!!) page:
http://my.voyager.net/lar/slush_list5.html

Nobody wants rusty steel!

BTW, in the US there are almost never any 2 axle cars, so we'd just call
it a coil steel flat (or gondola... most US coilers are gons)

, 3 covered
hoppers

it's interesing that the grainer has a rotating cover. US practice is to
have individual  hatches that you have to go topside to open. How did
you do the rotating cover with only one thickness (just the tiles) or...
did you fudge it? The LDraw isn't clear on that point. Nice use of side
mounted steering wheels to simulate the bottom opening controls.

Overall..

VERY nice work, and the Ldraw and proto stuff really adds to the page
value.

Stop the FDIC from spying on us! Go to
http://www.defendyourprivacy.com and sign the petition.
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.