 Trains / 7253
Re: Why Does Everyone else here get a good deal!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 20:20:35 GMT

"Albert Shikaze" <ans2@home.com> wrote in message
Hello Braden:
    At the risk of being really off topic.

    You have to change your strategy.  The probability of finding exactly
what you are looking for at a great price is low.  The probability of
finding something that others are looking for is considerably higher. • Then
you can trade for what you are looking for.  I missed out on some great • buys
until I changed my strategy.  About a year ago I passed up on the Airport
Shuttle for about 120$ Canadian (80$US).  Not so smart.  That set was gone
by the time I realized my mistake.  That would be a good "Donkey of the
year."

    I have been looking for trains and technics sets.  I'm wiser now.  I
still haven't found the Metroliner.  Let me make a correction.  I still
haven't found a used Metroliner at garage sale prices.  If it makes you • feel
better, I had to pay 300$US for my MISB Metroliner plus shipping from
Europe.  But I have found the 6285 Black Seas Barracuda , 6067 Guarded Inn
and 6023 Maiden Cart.

    It looks like that is how Alan Demlow got his Metroliner.

Albert Shikaze

This is excellent advice and essentially how I recently got my Metroliner.

About two months ago I found an Airport Shuttle, not cheap, but reasonablly
priced.  I bought it and offered it up for trade hoping to shake a
Metroliner loose.  In the end I sold the Shuttle to one person and bought a
Metroliner from another.  I used the sale of one to fund the purchase of the
other.  My net cost for my Metroliner was under the current market rates but
not obscenely cheap, maybe slightly less than MSRP.  Net-net, I was happy
with how it worked out.

As Albert stated - the odds of finding a Metroliner cheap are low.  The odds
of stumbling on some other set that you may be able to sell for a profit
with which to fund your purchase of a Metroliner are much better.  I don't
collect castle sets but I buy  every single one I find because I know that
the demand for them is pretty high.

One key component to this strategy is the ability to actually sell something
once you find it.  About a year ago I found an Airport Shuttle and had
planned on selling it to fund the purchase of some other sets.  Once I put
it together I simply couldn't sell it.  When I got the second one it was
also hard to let it go but not nearly as hard as the first one.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com