 Trains / 7153
Re: exterior ducting on SD40-2's?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 06:28:42 GMT

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:36:23 GMT, Christopher Masi
<cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote:

The other day I finally noticed that the base of an SD40-2 is not the
same on both sides. On the side with the bulge that contains the blower,
the base is thick, and it thins out just after reaching the rear truck.
On the other side, the base is the same thickness the entire length of
the engine. So, is the base extra room on one side used to accommodate
the ducts that bring the air to the traction motors?

Just curios,
Thanks,
Chris
--
PGP public key available upon request.

Our GP-38-2's have the same arrangement. At the very end of the raised
platform, where it drops back down to the lower level, on the
engineer's side is a small storage area used to hold extra knuckles
and a length of heavy duty chain. As far as why its raised, I'm not
really sure whats under there, but I think you may be right about the
ducts. It's a good guess anyway.

A small note, our GP-38-2's are set up for long hood foward operation
so the engineer's side is actually the right side when the long hood
is foward, which should be opposite the arrangement on Conrail
SD-40-2's, in which the raised platform is on the firemen's side.

Jeff Christner

Visit Sixby Fire Tech at - http://members.aol.com/regult/

Help support my LEGO habit. Ship by rail.
Visit http://www.nscorp.com/ to find out how.