 Trains / 7179
Re: exterior ducting on SD40-2's?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 02:00:13 GMT

Jeff Christner wrote:

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:34:58 GMT, Christopher Masi
<cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote:

Jeff,

Just trying to get this straight in my head. With the short hood
forward, the engineer's side is the left side, and the fireman's side is
the right side. With the long hood forward, the sides are reversed;
kinda like driving your car backwards. The pictures of the Conrail
GP38-2 and SD40-2's that I have seen have a raised platform on the left
side (left side if standing in the cab and looking out over the short
hood) where the bulge for the blower is.
I have a strange feeling that I have my engineer and fireman sides reversed.

Chris
--
PGP public key available upon request.

On a Conrail unit running short hood foward, the engineer is on the
right hand side, the fireman is on the left.

NS units being part of the N&W and Southern, famous for long hood
foward operation, if you were running long hood foward, the engineer
would be on the right side.

Conrail GP38-2's and NS GP-38-2 are very different. NS units have a
high short hood while Conrail units have low short hoods, and the
engineer's control stand is on opposite sides. The raised platform is
indeed on the left side if both were facing short hood foward, but
only on NS units does the engineer sit on that side.

On your LEGO Conrail SD40-2, running short hood foward, the engineer
should be on the right hand side. If you were going to put a minifig
in there and were short of space, many of our engineers in the yard
sit facing the control stand, so you could place an engineer in there
facing toward the center of the cab as opposed to facing directly
foward.

Jeff Christner

Visit Sixby Fire Tech at - http://members.aol.com/regult/

Help support my LEGO habit. Ship by rail.
Visit http://www.nscorp.com/ to find out how.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for clearing that up. I'll move my
minifig to the correct side right away!

Chris
--
PGP public key available upon request.