 Trains / 6552
6551  |  6553
Subject:
GMLTC at the Kidvention
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:31:37 GMT

J-1 pretty much covered the thank-yous to TLC, and I would like to thank
all of the LTCs for sending us their cars to run.  For the most part, we
ran our "LTC" train the entire time we were there.  Unfortunately and
ironically, the one club that didn't get us a car was the PNLTC, the
*first* organized LTC:-(  But they were represented well in person and
it was good getting to know Tom Rafert and his wife!  We will be packing
up all of the cars when they return to us and ship them off to the PNLTC
for their big event in August.

Briefly, we had a fantastic time.  TLC and the park folk couldn't have
been more hospitable and literally made us feel like we were one of
their own.  It was a great experience which we entered with a little
trepidation (being set up *right* next to Miniland is a *tough* gig;)
but the people and kids seemed just as receptive to the layout as at any
train show, which frankly surprised me a lot.  What surprised me even
more was the reaction of the MCs who visited us during the day (MC =
Model Citizen, or park employee)  All of them seemed very impressed,
which I thought would have been the opposite reaction.  So that was very
gratifying.

It was also very gratifying meeting AFOLers who made it to the
Kidvention-- Mike Poindexter (who although wasn't able to bring his 8
wide layout to the Kidvention became an indispensable asset for the
ldrawers), the ldrawers themselves-- Bram, Tim, Terry ,Tom McDonald and
his family (who brought his awesome Spamcake diner and Daylight 4-8-4),
Ron Kittle (who brought his very cool, fully functional Shay
locomotive), John Gramley, Tom Stangl, Wayne Hussey (whom I missed:-(,
and a few others who are eluding my recall at the moment.  It's people
like you who make playing with LEGO fun.

At every opportunity, I bent the ear of every "higher up" I could
pleading the plight of LEGO railfans.  I even instructed the 4 Danes
from Billund who are the actual set designers for Technic who attended
the Kidvention to think trains before they design any new technic
part:-)

So, it was a great success from our standpoint.  I hope the Kidvention
was from TLC's, and that they have another and want us back next year.
Below are shots of all the LTC cars which ran on the club train.  More
pics to come soon (hopefully)

-John