 Trains / 6483
Re: Something completly new
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:05:48 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Adrian Egli writes:
Cool!  If that is what I believe it is (Larry P. please feel free to correct
me if I'm wrong) but your German speaking friends have built a cog rail
locomotive!

This is extremely cool indeed.

I am not 100% sure of this but I believe the difference between a Rack and a
Cog is a matter of the following points (uppercase R and C to distinguish from
the rack, part of the track)...

Both have linear gearteeth affixed to the center of the rail (the "rack",
lowercase r). Both use rail wheels AND a gear inside the locomotive.

A Rack has relatively thin linear gears which may be made of (very thick)
stamped sheet steel, while a Cog uses much thicker cast gears

A Rack doesn't have any guides on the sides of the rack, while a Cog often will
have a ridge or flange on either side of the rack

A Rack has a thick drive gear, thicker than the rack. That allows for some
imprecision in the rack alignment, while a Cog has a thinner drive gear,
thinner than the rack, which also allows for some imprecision.

A Rack drive gear can jump off completely, while a Cog, due to the guide
channels on the sides, cannot. (both can in major derailments, of course)

Thus a Rack is suitable for less steep grades as if the gear comes
disconnected, adhesion must be sufficient to hold the train in place till it
can be rescued.

I would say this model is more of a cog than a rack since:
- it uses the Lego rack piece which is thicker than lego gears
- the car is built for steep grades.

A VERY cool model indeed. There was a similar model (Code Pilot controlled) at
the Legoland CA opening day LegoFest, although it may have been a funicular, I
forget.

I was lucky enough to ride a Rack while in Zurich. Cool stuff.

++Lar