 Trains / 6331
Re: Thanks Larry, Horst, Ezio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.it, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.ch, lugnet.fun, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:49:10 GMT

In lugnet.loc.it, Mario Ferrari writes:
I want to thank everybody was at Ezio's house during this weekend for the
pleasant time we had together.

A special thank to Larry for having been the catalyst of this event, to
Larry & Horst for having driven such a long route to come and meet us (and
for Saturday's dinner), and to Ezio for his hospitality.

Pictures of the event to be published on www.itlug.org as soon as possible
(y'know it might mean *months*!)

Mario

I want to second those thanks, and perhaps give them to a wider audience. This
weekend was an absolute blast. I continue my quest to be the AFOL who has met
the most other AFOLs and I have 5 new faces to add. Ezio showed us all some
very wonderful hospitality (as well as sharing a few secret places with us, I
now have a packing problem, it's not all going to fit.) He's got a great attic
(with air conditioning) to play in,

Monica, his SO, showed a lot of patience with us all (she's into castle, a
bit). And Nerona, his cat, the blackest cat I've seen in some time, liked my
computer bag, so that was a good thing.

One thing I wanted to relate was a little game we played. It goes like this.

1. we chose a theme (trains, in this case) for our creations.
2. each person chose one part, calculated to be fairly diabolical. The parts
were put in a pile.
3. each person chose one part from the pile, not their own part, to use in
their creation.

The only rule was that the part had to be used in some creation that fit the
theme (and to make it harder, we said the part could not be used as part of a
load, that's too easy)

We had 5 people playing and here's what we came up with, pictures will be
forthcoming. (ordered from most serious to most whimsical)

Mario Ferrari got stuck with a piece of gray 12v rail. He built a most amazing
train car used in wreck repairs. It had one bogie that slid inward and when it
did. the car body pivoted and the rails dropped down (like  a Jerr-dan does) so
that you could winch the wrecked car onto the rails mounted on the deck, then
you could winch the bogie back out to cause the rails to lift up and the car
would now be on the deck and ready to be transported away.

I had a dump body foisted on me (like the dump body that is on the trailer of
the tractor in the 45 railroad tractor flatbed) I used it as a cab roof, used
upside down, (the whole cab and most of the rest of the creation was studs
down) for a container crane. This crane had a large grabber to grasp the
container, which is on an extendable boom which also goes up and down. Front
wheel steering (the thing is about 12 studs wide) allows you to maneuver in
close to the container flats.

Horst Lehner was tricked into using the rubber caterpillar center hub like what
is used in the 8229 tread trekker technic set.  He built an articulated crane
car with a boom that swung out about 50 studs, and swivel out stablizers. The
center hub was used in the connection between the two cars. It was strong
enough to pick up a BURP with the boom fully extended without tipping over,
although when we tried it with a locomotive we broke it.

Marco Berti was punished with the red steep slope castle roof (sort of  1/2 of
a conic section) like in the dacta castle set. He took 4 of them and made some
sort of bizzare 8 wide cement mixing car.

Carlo (forgot his last name) unwisely allowed himself to be stuck with the blue
bristle brush like what is used in the street sweeper and the current train
cleaner. He built a very large and elaborate wood sheathed "tunnel cleaner"
which had the bristle swivel mounted so it could polish tunnel ceilings. Since
a skeleton was at the controls, I feel it was hands down the most whimsical.

Ezio had taken a part as well (a christmas tree) but since he spent most of his
time helping us find stuff in his (ahem) somewhat chaotic sorting system, he
didn't get to build much.

This was a fun game and I recommend it for future parties.

++Lar