 Trains / 5876
Re: LEGO and the NMRA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 00:21:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, James J. Trobaugh writes:
This got me thinking, so day maybe  LEGO railroading will earn the same
respect and be featured as well by the NMRA. I don't see this happening
in the next year or so, but as the LTCs grow and refine the skill of
LEGO railroading I do think it could happen in the future. I think as
more prototyping of trains and rolling stocks come about, and layouts
follow the paths of HO (and other scales) layouts, with real time tables
and schedules, that some day LEGO and the LTCs will be seen as a nice
alternative to the other scales. I know that LEGO can't really capture
the detail of the model trains that other scales have, but that's what
gives them that certain "flare" and "style" and makes them so much fun.

A similar example is found with Hornby O gauge (pre/post WW2). This stuff is
very toy-like, made of flat printed tinplate with it's own style, runs on very
coarse track but it provides HUGE entertainment for adult collectors and
spectators at shows.

The fact that it's robust, works well and was designed to be handled by
children means that it is about the closest equivalent to Lego trains in the
trad Model Railway world.

It's just a bit too collectable nowadays (£££)

Jon

Well that was just some thoughts I had and I figured I'd share them.

jt

James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club
http://www.ngltc.org