 Trains / 5663
Re: New truck design... need help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:42:42 GMT

That the beauty of it. There is no prototype that I know of, but it looks
kinda cool. And typically that's what I'm after! The stud down is a good
idea, I was thinking about a 1x6 technic plate with holes in stud positions
1 and 6. Maybe I can stuff a 1x1 rnd plate in there inverted or something.
I'll keep y'all posted if I come up with anything.

SteveB
PNLTC

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile writes:
Hi All,
I tried a new truck design and need some help, pls look at the instructions • at
the URL:

http://www.sstanamera.com/~sebarile/LEGO/instructions/trucks/URT_Truck.htm

Step 3: shows the air tanks attached to the 1x2 single stud plate however...

Step 6: shows a 2x4 plate "covering" the 1x2 single stud plate but it does • not
firmly hold the air tank in place. The space between the top of the stud and
bottom of 2x4 plate is about 1/2 a plate, thus allowing the air tank to • simply
lift out :(

Just rambling here in hopes of spurring some other ideas.

Do you want the tank held down at the first stud level or just prevented from
coming loose? If the latter, perhaps something with a stud reversed? If the
former, barring using things like hose bits (not bad suggestions mind you),
something that is somehow offset 1/2 plate level is what you need, eh?

You could always use a clone that is 1/2 a brick thick instead of 1/3, that
gives you the 1/2 plate thickness difference. But there's got to be a better
way.

One thing that hinders you is that you don't have a lot of layers of thickness
to work with... normally using something like the 1x1 brick with 4 side studs
turned sideways gives you the offset.

Hm... what about a thinwall turned sideways with the end protruding? you'd • need
to come up with a pocket to put the thinwall into which might cut into truck
strength but it is the right thickness and would actually look pretty good if
in a contrasting color.

OK, now I gotta ask, what's the prototype for this truck? I am drawing a blank
on airtanks as parts of truck frame hardware...

++Lar