 Trains / 5530
Re: 14-wides!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 01:23:18 GMT

Great stuff John!

A couple of thoughts as feedback:

1) How does G-scale, 1:29 compare to the size of grack LEGO uses in LEGOland?

2) How many pieces are in your Caboose?  The boxcar?  500 or so?

How would this be for a fantasy dream:  Lego releases a line of 'Ultimate
Collector series trains' - not six stud, not 8 stud, but 14 studs wide.  Each
set would contain one car.  They would sell for $60-$120 each (500-1200
pieces).  One engine would run $150+.  It would all run remote control on
standard G track with full sound and all the goodies.  This way, they could
easily delineate the market between the children's market (train jr stuff) and
the Ultimate Collector Series Trains.

Probably just a pipe dream.  But dreams drive innovation and there is no
shortage of innovation in the wide world of LEGO trains.

Look forward to hearing more about converting g-scale trucks to LEGO use.

Again, Great Job!

Ben F

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Holy cow, guys!  I just uploaded those and didn't even get a chance to • announce
them;-)  Those pics were taken at the LaCrosse Train Show last month.  I just • got
a new DV camera and put in my firewire card last night so I have been
experimenting around with MotoDV.  The picture quality is less than desired-- • I'm
slowly climbing the learning curve;-)  Anyhoo...

Thanks for the kind words-- the trucks are actually G scale, 1:29 to be • precise.
I plan to have a garden layout around my backyard using G scale track and • trucks
(the one pic with the cars together on the tracks was taken on a G scale • club's
layout at the show).  Interestingly enough, if I mounted regular LEGO wheels • to
those 14 wide cars, I would be simulating narrow gauge (42"), but I like the G
stuff better.  I have near completion 2 more box cars and 1 reefer, and a
spectacular 3 foot long passenger car.  I am still accumulating a few parts • for
those.  Pics later.

I was pretty happy with the way the caboose turned out-- here is the schematic
from which I modeled:  http://www.sooline.org/freight/cabooses/ne5.gif
I had some real problems with the transition from G trucks to LEGO, but am • deep
into working them out.  I'll fill in the details later.

-John

Richard Schamus wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Alan Gerber writes:
John Neal has made some incredibly realistic 14 wide trains that he has • put up
pictures of at http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=322
Alan

That's great work. Very ingenious working in Belville scale. I just want to
know what trucks he's using for what kind of track. Has he just gone and
mounted on "O" guage and gotten it over with?

Rich
--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (No, I don't work for TLC, but I want
to...)
Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.wamalug.org &
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
EASTCOAST LEGOFEST IN THE NATION'S CAPITOL, 9-11 JUNE!!
*****