 Trains / 5036
  Re: Building my train table

I built about 5 of those style tables. They seemed quite more work than they should be, but maybe I am just not very proficient at woodworking. (Probably the latter). If you want easy tables, make them with 3/4" plywood and use 2x4s on their edge to (...) (25 years ago, 23-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Building my train table

Mike has some good points. The PNLTC design isn't the most simple thing out there and Mike suggested a reasonable alternative. The PNLTC design is designed to keep weight to a minimum and still have sufficient strength. Personaly, I have 8 or so of (...) (25 years ago, 23-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Building my train table

The PNLTC tables aren't too bad to make once you have the jig for the holes. I just have the guys at Home Depot cut the top wood for me (3/8 particle board for the NGLTC), their saw makes a much nicer cut the I can do on the driveway with my (...) (25 years ago, 24-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Building my train table

Perhaps my tables are a bit overkill for a tabletop Lego layout (actually, they definitely are) but they are not overkill for a legomodular layout where 70+ pounds of bricks are put on top of them in addition to the structures and rolling stock. (...) (25 years ago, 24-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Building my train table

FYI, it's more expensive, but if you use birch plywood for the top/sides/girders, the table will be much lighter, stiffer, and stronger than using plain plywood or LDF/MDF. You could go all the way down to 1/4" birch plywood and still take an (...) (25 years ago, 24-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Building my train table

Thank you all for the suggestions. I don't have time to comment now on each one (things are a bit crazy in the office this morning). But I have printed all of the suggestions and will be taking them into account as I build my table. I do believe I'm (...) (25 years ago, 24-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Building my train table