 Trains / 4950
Re: Disassembly of 12V switching motor brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 19:48:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Callahan writes:
Has anyone ever tried to disassemble a 12V switching motor brick?  I recently
acquired one in an auction that fails to work properly.  I can hear it make
electric sounding noises but it never flips the switch (although manually the
switch flips with ease).  I was hoping to open this guy up and remedy its
ailments.

-Chris

Hi,

If you mean the 'large' gray brick used to switch the remote points from the
12V era, well, i did open one past year.
I don't have it anymore, Reinhard 'Ben' Benneke has it now (the one from the
ABS ... site)

It's not easy to open them, because the top is glued on the bottom part, and
therefore allmost impossible to open it without damaging it.
Inside you will find 2 pieces :
1 coil
'switch' using 2 permanent magnets posisioned at 90° and placed in opposite
direction.
I measured once the current flow and this is aprox. 200mA by 12V DC.
If you messure the current and this is far above the 200mA without switching,
then i supose that the coil is burned through. In this case you have to open
it and rewind it with the same number of turns and the same diameter of wire.
You can find this kind of wire in any good electronics hobby shop.
Don't use blank wire !! It have to be isolated wire. The one you need is
isolated with a thin laque layer.

Hope you can use this information.
Good luck.
Regards,