 Trains / 478
477  |  479
Subject:
Proposed Monorail from 4.5v Track. Not built. Thoughts only
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 18:29:56 GMT

Newsgrps: rec.toys.lego
To      : Frode Torske <Frode.Torske@hydro.com>
Attchmnt:
Subject : Re: The "fourth" Monorail set
----- Message Text -----
On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Frode Torske wrote:

Jesse Long wrote:

Beaker wrote in message <78938g$cdq$2@news-int.gatech.edu>...

It really doesn't count, I don't think ... it's a great set, but the
track is not compatible with the monorail sets ... plus it's kind of
dull; back and forth, back and forth ... it might have been cool if they
had offered curved rails, but still, it really doesn't move very well on
the track ...

Aren't those just railroad track parts?  You could grab some old curves and
make a mini-monorail.  You'd just have to modify that car a little to • handle
the turns.

As the old curved rails (I assume you mean those where the left and
right rail a separate pieces) are designed to have a gap between them of
4 studs you cannot put the curved rails togehter! Hence, you cannot make
a monorail out of the curved rails. Trust me; otherwise I'd done it lots
of time as a kid.

Frode

Hmmm, Mono rail? Mono, meaning one or single....

Maybe you could use *only* one of the two 4.5v radius curves:  either the
inner, and smaller, radius curve with the smooth top surface; or use the
outer , larger, radius curve with the 'toothed' top surface.

I believe that a complete single circuit monorail system could be based on
this single rail design.  Inclines may even be possible in the same way
that they are done for the 6-stud wide trains.

Also, switching tracks could be constructed based on a similar system as
that used on roller coasters, and in the 9v monorail track:  build a
translational section of track that can slide in-out of the main track
line to connect other track sections.

For the train itself:

I envision a three wheel set up to both guide and support a train on the
single track.  One wheel would roll along the top surface of the track.
Two wheels would roll in a plane parallel to the ground, one on either
side of the track to keep the train on the track.  Two of these tri-wheel
assemblies would be connected to either end of a train car via a pivot
above this tri-wheel assembly that would rotate in a plane parallel to the
ground.

The above design would likely wobble to some degree if the two side wheels
are not close enough to the track.

Power to top-riding wheel might be provided through a Technic motor
driving a Technic axled wheel.  However, there are rotation issues
concerning the drive mechanism that I can foresee, but have no thoughtful
solution other than a universal joint or (LEGO Brand) rubber band ;-).

Since the radius of curvature of the 4.5v curved rails is larger than that
of the LEGO 9v monorail track, a train for this proposed design might be
able to incorporate side skirts that hang down below, or at least at, the
level of the track.  This, as opposed to the 9v monorail trains which ride
entirely above the 4-stud wide track.

Well, these are, as you can tell, just some half-baked initial thoughts
about using 4.5v train rails to ake a monorail setup.  Haven't given much
thought for the track supports.  Since the track would be single stud-wide,
that may yield a structural support problem.

If this discussion gives anyone the motivation to try it out, or if you've
already tried it, I'd love to hear about your efforts and level of
success.

later,
James Mathis