 Trains / 4200
Re: GATS Fresno show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 06:34:44 GMT

Mike Poindexter wrote:

I went to GATS today in Fresno.  That show was pretty weak.  Granted, the
weather was horrible, but almost every booth was for selling stuff - only a
few layouts.

I ran into a couple of people I met earlier at the train club.  One of them
loaned me a UP Loco I am almost finished modeling.  It is 8 wide, 76 long
and uses two four axle trucks.  Yes, four axle trucks!

Woo-Hoo!  An 8 wide DD40X{:^D  I like it already, Mike!  And by rights, you
will have the longest diesel ever made to minifig scale (Since the DD40X was
the longest proto diesel ever made, and yours is 8 wide which would be longer
than any puny 6 wide).

I have tested it out around the loops and except for hitting the point
switches and looking stupid around a tight curve, it runs fine.  I will post
pictures later.

Can't wait.

The main point of my post is this:  Are these GATS shows mostly people
selling stuff or was our show an exception?  I was disappointed.  On a
better note, though, I think that we will really blow away the displays with
a good LEGO layout.  I was only impressed with one layout.

You know, I thought the exact same thing at our GATS in St. Paul last
November.  It was really lame-- mostly dinosaurs selling off their Lionel
stuff, and not one interesting layout.  I guess I got spoiled by the NMRA
National Convention;-)  We are going to be in La Crosse in March and that is a
fun show.  I could live a happy life never attending another GATS....

-John

Mike Poindexter