 Trains / 3871
Re: A Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:45:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Cliff Olson writes:
As a professional observer, I have noticed something. There seems to be a
large segment of the LUG that collect MISB, un-opened sets, with the intention
of keeping them this way. I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, just
genuinely curious as to why?

Because it's kind of cool to have something sealed in a box,
knowing that it's in perfect condition?

Because once you open it, you no longer have it in the
perfect state it was previously in?

I think Castle fan Jeff Crites tried to collect two of every Castle set -
one to open and play with, and one to keep sealed.  I could kind
of see the attraction of that, at least at the scale he was
collecting (he was a castle completist).  What a blast to walk
into a room and see one of almost every castle set ... unopened.

I don't have strong stirrings in that direction, just weak ones -
which I sate by keeping a few under-five-dollar sets unopened
each year - polybags and small sets.  The sort of set that, if I
did open it, would just disappear into the anonymity of the collective.
It's cool to look through the 30 or 40 small unopened sets I have
and feel happy that, yes, if I ever really needed a lego fix (or
wanted to give someone a cool gift) I could grab one of those sets.

But anything sizable - I can't stand it.  I have to play with it.  Even
if I own multiples of it.  Especially if I have multiples of it - so
many LEGO sets are much more fun if you buy two or three or more of them, so
you get enough duplicate pieces to build Cool Stuff.

As someone who has always lived by the creedo that an "unplayed lego" is an
"unhappy lego", an MISB sets I have collected always get opened. Am I missing
out on some greater understanding about the world of legos?

The two main trends, I bet:

One:  the "collectors."  Just as people buy Star Wars figures and
leave them sealed because, sealed, they are worth more, there are
people who leave LEGO sets unopened for the same reason.

Two: the fetishists who just like keeping the set in perfect
condition, sealed box and all.  There IS something exciting ...
a sense of pregnant pause, of uncharted territory[1], in rattling
a sealed box.

Just curious.

CLiff

--

jthompson@esker.com  "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"

[1]   I was going to write "virgin territory" but that looked a little
      odd sitting next to "pregnant pause."