 Trains / 378
Re: Rip off of Playmobil?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:02:19 GMT

Eric Brok writes:
I don't consider this accusation fair, since there aren't that many ways to
build a small steam locomotive. I'm convinced *any* toy designer would come
up with roughly the same design. E.g. Black with red frame/wheels and small
red passenger car. Still, there are many differences in detail, as yo
notice, and I agree some features are missing or plain wrong. A
disappointing design yes. A rip-off no.

Well, like I said, I don't know if the two trains are based on some real life
train somewhere (which I suspect they are) so I can't accuse Lego of doing
anything wrong, but I still think they have copied what Playmobil have done.
Technically not a rip off, but I'd like to see Lego leading, not making "me-
too" products, especially if they aren't even very good copies.

And I disagree that Lego couldn't have made something different, just look at
all the old 4.5V and 12V steam train sets, they don't look like Playmobil
sets. In fact, they've made lots of black and red engines before, it's about
time they made a green locomotive for example.

Matt