 Trains / 3525
Re: 4563
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 23:48:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Cliff Olson writes:
Just looking for some opinions.
What would be a "fair" price for this set?
I realize it's all about supply and demand, and of course, who has Ben
Franklin burning a hole in thier pocket, but what would you pay for a MISB
4563?

Cliff

Hi Cliff, and welcome. A MISB may be hard to come by at this point, the set is
getting long in the tooth. There ARE some out there but you may be in the 300
range. It may be more advisable to go for a good used copy. As long as all the
key parts are there you're all set. (assuming your intent is to operate the
set, not just to collect it.)

One part that you MUST check for in a used set is the hook for the container...
This is made from a different plastic and it breaks and there is only one other
set I know that has it, the middle (chronologically speaking) dacta community
vehicles set. (The part I mean is it is in substep three on this page:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/4000/4564/4564-05.html)

The 4563 instructions aren't indexed on brickshelf, which is surprising, I
would have expected some outcry and so forth. And actually that container is in
4564 not 4563. The hard/fragile part in 4563 to watch out for is the
forklift... it appears in substep 4 on this page:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/4000/4563/4563-02.html) again, it's a complex
part not used in many sets.

Oh, the original question. If you shop diligently you should be able to pick up
a good condition used 4563 for around 150-200, I think. Try posting to
market.buy-sell-trade with an offer, you might shake one loose.

++Lar

PS Cliff just bought a couple of sets from me on eBay and I think we may have a
new trainiac on our hands here... :-)