 Trains / 31634
Re: LMC - Painting 905 done
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2012 22:12:04 GMT

Hi Matt / All,
I am leaning on using the "commercial" style carpet with a very low loop mat.
Unfortunately I know what you're talking about w.r.t. loosing pieces right in
front of your eyes on the dirt hiding carpets! There is some reasonable cheep
carpet at Home Depot ~$0.70 per square foot. It is short tight looped nap.  It
seems that if you spend more you automatically get "upgraded" to thick plush
nap.

I could use some advice on instalation.  It is going down on cement, no padding.
This sorta implies no nail strips, which then implies no stretching... so how do
you make the carpet lay flat?

SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Matthew J. Chiles wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:
Hi All,
Time for another LMC update!  Well it's the end of the month and I'm NOT done...
Stay tuned for the carpeting segment!

Steve-

I'm  very curious about what sort of carpeting you will choose.  I have carpeted
two different Lego rooms at my house.  I tend to prefer building on the floor,
so I laid down commercial carpet (with a very low loop mat, like you might find
in an office).  I didn't put a pad under it.  That way I have a firm floor to
build on that insulates from the cold of the concrete underneath.

The trouble is that commercial carpets tend to be variegated color designs.  I
would prefer a more solid color.  One room has a darkish grey carpet and the
other a darkish blue subtle diamond pattern.  I got remnants so I didn't have a
huge color choice.

Variegated is good for hiding dirt, but it also hides pieces.  If I had it to do
over again (which I plan to when I knock out the wall between these two rooms) I
would spring for a lighter shade that is as solid as possible so that bricks
will easily show up on it. Otherwise, the low nap with no padding underneath
works well as a building surface.

-Matt