 Trains / 31588
Re: Portland Train Event
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 21:52:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Matthew J. Chiles wrote:
   This past weekend, February 25-26, 2012, a great train event happened in Portland, Oregon, USA at the Worlds Greatest Hobby show. Sure, the show itself is a train event, but at the show something even greater happened.

There were 3 separate train layouts by 3 separate train clubs! The only type of train to have more layouts was HO, with about 8 layouts. We equaled the second most popular traditional scale, N, who also had 3 layouts.

All three layouts were excellent. I participated in the Greater Portland Lego Railroaders layout, which was the smallest of the 3 and most traditional modern train layout in many respects.

Next to us was the Puget Sound Lego Train Club layout. Their larger layout was period based - something commonly seen in traditional model railroading. They did an excellent job of modeling San Francisco and Central California around 1900.

And next to them was the new Portland based club, PortLUG, running a large layout full of spactacular trains and buildings.

All layouts were well populated and detailed and used not only traditional 9V, but also Power Functions. All included not only MOCs, but also stock Lego sets and modified stock Lego sets - a testament to how stock Lego sets have improved in recent years. Layouts also featured compatible non-Lego elements in many areas to add to the overall look and feel.

Several years ago Steve Barile stated that he believed we hadn’t left the Lego Golden Ages, but were in fact entering them. I think he may be right!

-Matt :)

PS - I should also mention that you should mark your calendars for the first weekend in June this year when Bricks Cascade (a new Lego convention) will come to the Oregon Convention Center in Portland! Hope to see you there!

Sounds great, Matt, but do we have to take your word for it, since we all know that a picture is worth a thousand of those.

JOHN