 Trains / 31492
Re: Problem with 7898 locomotive, turning off automatically
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 12:16:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frances Schroeter wrote:
I was exhibiting lego trains at a recent model train exhibition.
A member of public came up to me with his 7898 locomotive.
The problem is that the locomotive keeps on turning off automatically when it
gets under load, such as going round corners, and when you press the remote
control more than the 7 times to get the seven speeds.
I have checked the motor and it works fine without any problems when I use it
with my 7898 locomotive, same goes for the wiring and for the remote control.
The problem seems to be in the battery box part, where there must also be the
receiver for the remote.
Hope this all makes sense.
My question is, does anyone have any ideas if this is fixable, and how?

Hi Frances,

I'm almost sure that there's also a kind of protection into the AAA batterybox,
similar to the one found in the motors to protect it for short cirquit/overload
causing injuries.
It's defenately into the rechargeble battery box.
I guess that it protects until a max. current draw of 800mA.

If this protection divice is a bad component (got this into a 9V train motor)
then the protection will activate way too early causing the motor to stop even
it's not the way it should be.
If you can figure out that it's the battery box, i'll recommand you to contact
customer service for a replacement.
Perhaps you tell them your probem. Then Customer service can deside if you need
to ship the bad battery box to them to find out what's going wrong.

Just my toughts.
Regards,
Ludo