 Trains / 31476
Re: Ben's town Re: 2012 Train sets? // Wishlist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 11:00:23 GMT

If I might offer some criticism: the green 'hill' baseplate seems out of place
to me, and it would be nice to see more of the buildings at a slight angle (like
your genius rock one).

Tim,

you are so right with your observation. The village layout appears to be quite
static with all buildings erected in right angles.  However I have found no
satisfying way to integrate Houses on baseplates in odd angles. This ended in
very visible gaps.

In the past I preferred to stay with 32x32 baseplates, because I could easiely
get houses directly placed on any table for show purpose I only needed to place
street and green plates around.

The only way I can think of is to reject the classic baseplates and start with
the walls of buildings directly. The building could then be placed at any angle
on a tile surface.

I guess the whole impression would be more natural, when at least one building
at any corner of the central church would be roteded by ~ 30°. I will put this
on my to-do-list for future improvements.

****

On topic of the hill: the house on the hill is now 9 years old and I still like
it.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/Test/0000009_iscc2.jpg

The design of the house is following the features of that special baseplate and
I loved the integrated stairs, the color (black, darkgrey + green) and the fact
that it allows the house to over-look the near track.

But I may consider to build a similar hill from real bricks to adjust it's look
to the rest of the landscape at some point. Thanks for pointing out your
perception of this detail.

That aside I love the feel of the whole thing.

THANKS!

Ben