 Trains / 31073
Re: 8 Wide Steam Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 2009 03:00:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
But seriously, no, not even close, but 8 wides {look} about twice as nice as
6 wides....

[JOHN]

Until you hit a curve (grin).

Seriously though, going from 6 to 8 gives you an improvement in resolution of
33%, so you can get more detail in. But you'll be tempted to make it longer and
the lego curves are too tight as it is. The "straight-straight-straight" curves
were stunning in the IndyLug BW layout earlier this year, but you'll definitely
need to go PF if you attempt that (too much power loss).

You can still make nice 6 wide, but almost all of the over the top models with
complete interiors are 8+ wide.

I split the difference, most of my steam engines are 8 wide locos (with a few
wider points, e.g., the cylinders), 7 wide tender, and I pull 6 wide cars.

Benn