 Trains / 31051
Re: 8 Wide Steam Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 22:28:26 GMT

Howdy Larry!

The RAILBRICKS website (www.railbricks.com) has many sets of instructions,
though I'm afraid they mostly (if not all) 6 wide designs.  However, it wouldn't
be too terribly difficult to augment them to be 8 wide.  RAILBRICKS Magazine
issue #5 has a great set of instructions on how to build an 8 wide Power
Functions steam engine tender, and issue #6 has a great set of instructions for
building the chassis of a power functions steam engine.  Both of them, if I'm
not mistaken, are by Cale Leiphart (though you wouldn't use them both on the
same MOC, since between the two the wheels would most likely turn at different
speeds).

I've been putting together, off an on, sets of instructions for my steam engine
MOCs, most of which are 8-wide, but I've not made them public because I'm
mulling over putting them up for sale to make a little extra money.

They're not instructions, but if it helps you I've been chronicling the building
progress of my more recent steam engines, like my #5544 (8-wide), #1602
(10-wide), and the two updated versions of #300 and #500 (both 8-wide).  You
might be able to reverse engineer something or gain some insight there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/savatheaggie/collections/72157600864043419/

I hope that helps.

--Tony

Hello Anthony -

LOL - I've just started reading the RAILBRICKS back issues, I've just started
issue 3.

Thanks for the info you sent me and I'll start looking through it later tonight.

For right now, what I'd really like to build is something along the lines of
this engine:

http://www.urbansequence.com/dropbox/eurobricks/forum_art/6785_legoredo_station03_engine01.jpg

If that link doesn't work you can see the original picture here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9599

I was hoping to have something built to go under the Christmas tree, hopefully
I'll get something built in time.

One thing, I read that it can take about twice as many bricks to build an 8 wide
train than it does to build the 6 wide version.  How true is this?

Larry