 Trains / 3100
Re: Wild West Trains posted!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 19:55:58 GMT

Sorry about the last "blank" post... had too much coffee this afternoon...

Actually, if you look closely, you will see that Dan is using two pulleys
for each wheel. The inner one has a tire on it. I hav thought about doing
this, but wonder how well it goes through turnouts/

Yes the drive wheels on the locomotives are made with stacked pulleys, with
rubber "tires" from the Twisted Time Train keeping it on the rails.  One side
has 3 pulleys and the other has them only two deep.  This arrangement works
great, but you have to go real slow through the track switchees to prevent a
derailment.  My new arrangment eliminates the rubber tires and uses a set of
the small, car size train wheels on either side of the drive wheels.  To keep
traction on the drive wheels to move the pistons I put on some small black
rubber bands which came with the Pharoahs Forbiiden Ruins.  I just loaded a new
roll of film and will re-photo the new arrangment, which can handle turnouts at
any speed.

These are more toylike than I care for (1) but there's artistry in them.

These trains are actually modelled on real 19th century American Civil War era
locomotives.  They look like toys because so many toy trains have been
similarly copied from real trains.  The next locomotive will have three sets of
drive wheels and will look more conventional to early 20th century standards.
I'm actually hoping my dad will dig up his old HO scale locomotives so I can
copy some of them, inlcuding a 1940's era monster with 6 sets of drive wheels!

Thanks for the quick response!

Dan

I just am not a big fan of using the 1x6 handrails in any side
application, they always look wrong.

1 - oh, the irony! A toy is too toylike! :-)