 Trains / 30850
Re: Has Anyone Tried This and Will it Work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 02:35:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Elroy Davis wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Clifton D. Chambers wrote:

Has anybody tried to use the new motor with an old motor where they powered the
new 8866 motor FROM the old motor, getting power from the tracks?

I just tried this out on my basement layout.  The short answer is no.

The 8866 motor has a 9v-style connector on it, so the first thing I tried was
connecting a 9v motor to the new motor with a 9v cable.  No luck.

Next, I tried connecting the 9v motor to a 9v/PF adapter cable, connected to
another PF/9v adapter cable, connected to the new motor.  Still no luck.

However, a 8883 Medium Power Functions motor does work.  I connected that to the
9v train motor using an adapter cable and it spun fine.  So it might not work
for diesel trains, but would probably work for steamers or as a motor for
accessories just as spinning fans.

It was just a quick test, so someone may want to verify it, but that's what I
found with some quick experimenting.

Another thing to try: Use the 9V motor to power the IR receiver, and run the PF
motor from that. This would require the 9V motor to be disconnected (just use
the pick-up), and you'd need to run the train controller at full speed, and make
sure the polarity is correct, but would mean you're not changing batteries all
day.

Assuming, of course, that the IR receiver can be run from a 9V connector via the
9V-PF adapter...

ROSCO