 Trains / 30848
Re: Has Anyone Tried This and Will it Work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:33:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Clifton D. Chambers wrote:
The below information was posted on the WAMALTC site.  I know the new motors
run on a 7.4V as opposed to 9V, but can this work? Ben, I am hoping you can
provide some insight.

I had a similar idea a couple months ago, but it was more in terms of making 9v
steam trains more bump-resistant.  See, we did a layout earlier this year where
our tables weren't 100% perfectly level.  One of the guys had a steam train,
which, naturally, did not have powered drivers.  Everytime it hit a dip in the
rails, the drivers would just stop turning until they made contact with the
rails again.  I remembered that the PF extension cable had one end that had both
9v and PF connections, and I wondered if that might allow you to run PF-powered
steam drivers off a regular 9v motor.  As I was typing up the message to post, I
thought to do a little quick research first.  I can't find it anymore, but I ran
across a page that suggested the conversion only works to hook up a 9v component
to a PF power source, but not the other way around.  The same source said that
it was possible to reverse that capability by popping open the 9v end and
swapping some leads.

As for the voltage, it's a motor.  As long as you don't run enough power to melt
the wires, more voltage makes it run faster, and less voltage makes it run
slower.  You can see this in action when running a motor off of alkaline
batteries, as the voltage in a new high-end battery generally starts out
somewhat higher than the listed voltage (generics might start out a bit lower),
and steadily drops as you draw power from it until it doesn't have enough
voltage to power the device in question.  Running a PF motor on 9v shouldn't
harm it in any way, but if you're powering it off a live 9v train bogey, it'd be
helpful if you could build in a means of regulating the power between the two
motors.  That way you could at least adjust the PF motor speed down if it's
running significantly faster than the regular 9v motor.  If it's running a lot
slower, well, I don't think there's anything you can do about that, short of
checking a stock of 9v bogeys and finding the one that runs slowest.