 Trains / 30633
30632  |  30634
Subject:
ex-MILW Soo Line GP40
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2008 03:02:59 GMT

Sometime in late July while on a long, 6 hour drive to Pennsylvania I started playing around with ideas to build a “Soo Bandit” GP40 in CAD to pass the time. I chose the bandit scheme because of the challenge presented by its weathered patch and to go with my existing Soo Line stock and fellow COLTCer Benn Coifman’s amazing Milwaukee Road stock. I eventually came up with a design I was happy with and set out to build it in real life. Of course, the entire trip I was without an internet connection and unable to check whether or not a part was available in orange. So many of the parts were unfortunately unavailable or very rare in orange (grrr, 1x1 plates and tiles). This forced me to rebuild the engine several times until I was happy with it once more. After a lot of trial, error, headaches (I went overboard with the snot), and being made into a casserole, I settled on the design I have now. The cab was inspired by Benn’s GP20, but, apparently, I had come up with a different solution than his. One of my personal favorite details on the locomotive is the 5.8 stud wide fuel tank, which is ever so slightly narrower than the air tanks just like on the prototype. I am still not completely satisfied with the dynamic brake blisters and, until Lego releases a part which is essentially this cut in half, I probably never will be.

Click the above picture for more pictures in the Flickr set and here for more pictures of the prototype.