 Trains / 30521
Re: Need Electrical Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:41:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rob Hendrix wrote:

"L. Andrew Reynolds" <andrew_reynolds@uhc.com> wrote in message
news:JMvuv7.AF2@lugnet.com...
I am trying to setup some LED lights to run from the 9v track or a 9v
battery
pack for some train signals. I have 1.5v lights and the track is 9v
(obviously)
how can I step down the voltage. Any help would be great.

Typically, most LEDs have a mA rating of around 20mA.  Let's assume this is
the case for yours as well.  I have seen some 1.5v LEDs so I 'm taking your
word that yours are 1.5v like you say, instead of them being the more
normally found 2.1v LEDs (assuming you're using red, green or yellow LEDs).
So now we have all the components we need for the formula to figure out what
ohm (and what wattage) resistor you need.  I'm also assuming you are only
hooking up 1 LED per 1 resistor.

To calculate required LED current limiting resistor (R):

R = (Vs - Vl)/I

R = Resistor ohm
Vs = Voltage source
Vl = LED forward voltage
I = LED current in amps (remember 20 mA = .02A)

For your LED running at 9 volts, lets put the numbers in the formula:

(9 - 1.5) / .02 = 375 ohm

They don't make 375 ohm resistors, so choose 390 ohm which is the nearest
standard larger value.   Now let's figure out the required wattage of the
resistor we need.

P = (Vs - Vl) * I

P = Power (in watts)
Vs = Voltage source
Vl = LED forward voltage
I = LED current in amps (remember 20 mA = .02A)

(9 - 1.5) * .02 = .15 watt

That's too much for an 1/8w resistor (.125 watt), so choose a 1/4 watt (.25
watt) which is the nearest standard larger value.

I can go more in depth if you want or I can simply give you the answers.  I
prefer teaching over telling...  If you want to hook up more than one LED
either in series or parallel, just ask!

-Rob
www.brickmodder.net

I realize that this is an old post, but I jut found it...If I want to hook up a
bunch of LED's (say they are 2.1 volt and I want to hook up 10) to a 9v system,
what do I need to do?  Only hook in four at a time or something like that?

I could wire a whole house, but when it comes to small scale electronics, I am a
complete novice.

I have a LEGO train track going around my son's room near the ceiling.  I am
building a Santa Sleigh and rindeer to run on the tracks and I's like to light
up Rudolph's nose with an LED as well as have several LED's along the other
reindeer and the sleigh so that they look like traditional christmas lights.

Thanks.