 Trains / 29465
Re: FACTORY: Daniel Aubin's GE B39-8E in Grey MMA Livery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:31:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D’Urbano wrote:
   A while back folks here found Daniel Aubin’s impressive Factory designs on Brickshelf. I decided to buy his grey MMA GE B39-8E. Before ordering I made a few enhancements of my own while keeping it primarily true to Daniel’s design. The most significant changes were enhancing the radiators/roof in the rear and devising handrails using the Factory palette.

Full Gallery (after moderation)

   You might also like to check out my 7-wide freight cars. Most of them are inspired by local prototypes hauled around by the MMA locos. Some of the links go bad over time so if you have trouble downloading the LXF file or purchasing the model, let me know. (danaubin_147@hotmail.com)

Well it looks like it is now readily available on ebay (along with a few other models from the same seller that look like they may have been lifted from lego factory)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lego-Train-Custom-Grey-MMA-Loco-with-Motor

Sigh...

Benn

Dan / Paul / Benn

I know your feeling of disappointment at seeing your models show up on eBay. A while back, one of my train models (a trolley car that I designed early in my LDD days) showed up there. Although a bit disappointing, it’s allowable under the terms of LEGO Factory - other builders can borrow your designs and do with them what they want. It’s just too bad they don’t award credit where it is due.

Look at it as a testament to the quality of a design - and the desire on eBay for high quality train models. Plus, if anyone finds out that it is a LEGO Factory model, you can bet they won’t be buying it on eBay but from LEGO instead.

Ben Beneke had a similar, if more disheartening, experience when a copy of a very qualified model of his (*NOT* available through LEGO Factory) showed up on eBay. I believe he got in touch with the seller and asked him to take down the auction. When my trolley showed up on eBay, I sent the seller an email and let them know that I was the designer of the model, and asked them how they liked the model. I wasn’t so worried that they were selling it - it wasn’t my best work, for one thing; rather, I thought that my email would serve to remind them that people really do watch eBay auctions and know when their models are being listed there.

In any case, I agree with the eBay seller about one thing - the B38 design by Dan & Paul is an excellent model!

-Jordan