 Trains / 29435
Re: what makes a good engine shed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:45:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
Hey all,
It’s been kinda quiet on here lately so I figured I’d ask an open-ended
question.  What makes a good engine shed?

For some inspiration on a large scale, I thought I'd post some links to video
clips that show some of the current GE Locomotive manufacturing 'shed' in Erie,
Pennsylvania... worth watching just to see the engines moving around by gantry
crane (architecturally, the building itself is just a long rectangle with
multiple bays into the side; I toured the facility for my job actually, which is
what eventually got me into trains).

This video is about the making of a GE Locomotive commercial, where they show
some of the manufacturing site. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWiK8iotJU>

Some more glimpses of the gantry cranes in action can be seen in this
commercial.  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo9J-X5aLuQ>

After seeing the videos, one cool idea would be to have some flashing LED's
hidden in strategic spots to simulate welding... and if you are building a
manufacturing site, well then you can feel free to mix and match all the bleys
and greys on some desiel work-in-progress and say it's due to the uneven paint
primer coat.