 Trains / 29426
Re: what makes a good engine shed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:01:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
Hey all,
It’s been kinda quiet on here lately so I figured I’d ask an open-ended
question.  What makes a good engine shed?

What I mean by this is; what should it contain, what should it look like and
more importantly what makes them such a popular subject to build?

Ondrew<--sleep deprived yet again

Hi Ondrew

I really like this question.  I have never built an engine shed, but have made
many plans of grandiose maintenance complexes for which I lack space.

As for a good looking shed, I think it comes down to architecture.  Modern sheds
could be any blockish industrial structure (which are really hard to make
interesting) but visually the roundhouse has it for me.

If you want to capture the feel of railway operation you need a detailed
interior, machine shop, office etc, and some way of showing it off – big windows
or a glass roof.  For realism (and interest) I’d also go for different levels,
such as pits and gantries or cranes, and different bits built in different
styles to add a feeling of growth over time.

Why are they so important – there are so few dedicated railway buildings:

Passenger / freight depot
Tower / signal box
Shunting / classification yard
Engine shed
Water tower / coaling station (if you like steam)

Play Well

Chris