 Trains / 29323
29322  |  29324
Subject:
Electronic brick (1968) schematics?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:51:20 GMT

Several people here on Lugnet own copies of 139 (the 4.5V Electronic
train control unit), and even though I am not quite eager enough
to try to acquire a copy for myself, I'm still very much interested
in this set, as it was a childhood dream of mine to own one.
I still have the 1968 leaflet that advertised it to drool over.

Has anyone ever tried to figure out its schematics? From the pictures
of the electronic block, I can see that the circuit board is pretty
clearly visible through the plastic casing, and even though the view
is obstructed by studs, it should be possible to peek between them and
make out all the components and their connections by looking through
the plastic from several angles, without opening the brick (which I
assume is glued together). There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of
components in there, and it's 1960's technology with only discrete
transistors, so the task is at least manageable.

Does anyone have a schematic, or a set of close-up photos so that I
can at least deduce the general amount and type of components?
What images I have found on the net are of too low resolution.
The exact circuit is probably difficult to reproduce without the
antiquated germanium transistors from the era. (I do have a few in
my scrap drawers, but probably not enough and of the right types.)
However, a general grip on how many components there are, plus what
types they are and their general placement, would make it easier
for me to recreate a work-alike for the circuit and at least pretend
I own one. I would of course also place the schematics on the net
if I do manage to make a working replica.

I could simply design a circuit from scratch, but it wouldn't be
the same. I would very much like to copy the actual historic design,
or at least borrow some contemporary design principles from it.

Note that I would like to recreate the 139 with its "forward-stop-
reverse-stop" logic, not the 138 ("go-stop") which would be pretty
simple in comparison. I expect a lot fewer components were required
for that first product.

And last but not least, could someone record the sound of the whistle
and post it somewhere or e-mail it to me, or just tell me what pitch it
has (e.g by using a guitar tuner or similar), so that my re-make of
the circuit can be compatible with the real thing? A suitable e-mail
address for sending me a sound sample is "stefan.gustavson@gmail.com".

  Stefan Gustavson (#2407)