 Trains / 29261
29260  |  29262
Subject:
Best of Steam - Brickworld 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:27:39 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Posted on behalf of Brian Williams

If you couldn't attend Brickworld 2007, then here are pictures of some of the
finest Lego steam locomotives found running there this past weekend. Each shows
the clever use of parts and is a labor of love for the builders. Take a look and
get inspired for Detroit. Thanks to a John and Ross Neal, Cale Leiphart and Joe
Ellenbecker (I missed anyone else showing please contact me).

Folder Link: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=262393

Union Pacific Big Boy 4003 - Joe Ellenbecker
Joe recently rebuilt parts of the frame using dark grey which provides color
contrast and highlights the wheels.  The boiler uses quarter rounds only on the
sides using plates on top and open underneath. Joe runs this lok every month at
shows so its proven itself a solid runner.

Harry Potter Hogwarts Express - John & Ross Neal
John and Ross have such a great feel for proportions and details. The puffers
an running gear are amazing to see in action. And the lead trucks don't turn;
they just swing out over the curves.  Note the use of a single strip of black
tape on the tender to provide the yellow/black/yellow striping. The front of
the boiler is just a tad out of alignment as this lok was involved in a bad
accident at the show that took out several trains and part of the enginehouse.
But with several expert train AFOLs on hand all were rebuilt in minutes.

The Polar Express 1225 - John & Ross Neal
Another of John and Ross's gems. The running gear details are so intricate.  It
features plenty of hoses and three train motors for plenty of traction. The
passenger cars just out of shot are equally amazing.

Frisco 1630 - Brian Williams
I built this lok for the NILTC's Thomas 2003 event at the Illinois Railway
Museum (where the prototype runs).  Its actually 9wide and features an
articulated frame, wrenches for siderods, a rubber ray gun "bell", and a Brio
sound mechanism built in complete with whistle and a cam on one axle to give the
exhaust "chuff." To get the prototypical proportions on the tender I located the
motor in the center with faux 1/2 trucks that swivel around each end. The
journal boxes on the trucks are the 1x1 slopes held in place with TAT
construction (TAT = Tape & Tube, i.e. the use of 3M double stick tape and
Plastruct ABS tube to attach bricks in reverse). Note the American flags which
IRM run each Fourth of July.

The Royal Train "Kathryn" - Brian Williams
Yes, you old timers may remember my old 6wide Kathryn Lok out of retirement
after 8 years for a Brickfest appearance. This Era I German Tea Kettle uses a
9v train motor with the motor removed in the peat tender to power the 12v train
motor in the engine. Both engine and tender are covered in hand cut stickers.
The striping was done in 1995 before ALPs so each straight and curve stipe had
to be hand cut and applied to both engine and the three cars (although an Alps
was used later to add the "KWSTe"). Working lights are fitted into each of the
three headlight brick lamps, firebox, marker light, and to illuminate each of
the cars.

Pennsylvania 460 - Cale Leiphart
I met Cale for the first time at Brickworld and was impressed by the good
proportions and striking use of color for his Pennsy prototypes. The 460 pulls a
train based on an actual train which was used to develop the film of Charles
Lindburg for a news organization en route to the theater to scoop the
competition. The Lego model lok uses 2x plates supported from a central technic
rod for the boiler and lots of SNOT.    .

Pennsylvania 4483 - Cale Leiphart
The 4483 SNOTs out the boiler in order to achieve the subtle stepped look of the
walkways above the running gear.  Note the airtakes present both on top the
pilot and below the cab.

Goth Train - Roger Snow
This train is incredible. While not a proto steam lok per se, it is a fantasy
train with all sorts of dark, organic looking details. The pilot looks like
claws and the goth details carry through all the cars too. The smokebox is
clear with technic fibre optics pulsing with red light.  I think this is one of
the very best lego trains ever made because its an example of something very
creative that Lego permits which would probably not get built if one had to
scratchbuild it in O or HO scale.

Big Steam Locomotive - Ken Nagel
This is an older pic of this lok which ran at Brickworld. It uses tires for
drivers and is one of the few lok models to represent the actual valve gear
linkage in the running gear.