 Trains / 29256
29255  |  29257
Subject:
Brick-built hopper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:51:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello all,

I’ve finally decided to buy one of my LDD train models. To be more specific, I bought the sodium-chloride hopper that was the winner in the freight rolling stock category on the save.9vtrains.com contest. It isn’t exactly the same one as I’ve tinkered endlessly with it (as well as my other designs).

So here it is in the brick!

I ordered it all from LEGO Shop-at-home, mostly to see how it worked out, as this was the most expensive option. Other than the price, complaints I had with Shop-at-home was the shipping delay (they ship from Denmark to their USA distribution centre and then to me) and also that I got some wrong pieces. They made god on that though by shipping me the right pieces once I called them, though the shipping was a bit long, again. Next time, I’ll gather the pieces I have from my collection, order what I can from Bricklink and maybe get what’s cheaper from Shop-at-home’s pick-a-brick.

I took a few pictures with some official LEGO trains so you can see how they blend. The locomotive is from the early 90’s set 4563: Load and Haul Railroad and the open hopper is 10017: Hopper Wagon. My hopper was more massif than I expected but that’s fine as I like that aspect of North American freight. It was designed with my other 7-stud stock in mind but I feel it still fits well with traditional 6-stud. Let me know what you think.

Brickshelf gallery when moderated

As usual, I tinkered at bit with the design, partly because new parts became available (1x2 light grey tiles) and partly because I saw an chance to improve it a bit (3 1x6 tiles on the lower part instead of 2 1x6 tiles + 1 1x2 tile). I have the new LDD file but I haven’t had much luck posting LDD files on Brickshelf. If anyone wants it, just drop me an email (danaubin147@hotmail.com) and I’ll send it.

Constructive comments/suggestions welcomed.

Daniel Aubin