 Trains / 28910
Re: A few Norwegian MOCs & a DCC-question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:40:29 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Matija Puzar wrote:
   First, a few local MOCs (train & town):

Wow! These are some very nice-looking designs. Thanks for sharing these!

   Now to the DCC-question. I have 4 motors with DZ123 (I use two of dem on the BM71 and two of them on another big train). While reading the (very) old posts in this group, I saw other people experienced the same problems as me, that is motors starting to “choke” after a while, more or less at the same time. I haven’t found any conclusion (other than that it is probably overheating), so I was wondering whether someone managed to solve this problem and, if so, how? The nice thing is that, when it happens, I can simply switch to analog control and the motors work like a charm (although all the fun is gone).

I have only used DCC a little (I do have a couple DZ123’s) and never experienced these problems myself, but I do recall the discussion. I was wondering what you are using for a DCC controller? Are you using Mark Riley’s LDCC firmware running on an RCX, or are you using a commercial DCC controller? If LDCC, are you using a version 1.0 RCX powered from the AC adapter port?

To isolate the problem, you might try running one set of motors until the slowdown occurs, then switch over to the other set of motors. If the fresh set of motors immediately exhibit the same problem then the cause is most likely in the master DCC controller; if they work at normal speed then the cause is probably overheating of the individual DZ123 units.

Also remember: when pulling a train using two motors that if one motor slows down, the other motor will have to do more work and will overheat more quickly. This could explain why all your motors seem to die at the same time.