 Trains / 28909
28908  |  28910
Subject:
A few Norwegian MOCs & a DCC-question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:55:04 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hello there,

so, after a lot of time of being passive, I finally decided to break the ice :)

First, a few local MOCs (train & town):

BM-71 (Flytoget, the Oslo airport train) ----------------------------------------

This was my first train MOC, made a year ago. I was struggling a lot with the nose, but managed somehow to get it right-ish... I’m still not quite satisfied with it, though. Droid arms & lightsabres were used for the sliding doors (I would love to give credit to the person I stole the idea from, but I just couldn’t find the Brickshelf-folder again).

The train is clearly “a bit” long, but it still manages to do the curves nicely (although it needs a bit of space on both sides of the tracks). Being that long, it gives a nice sliding effect while changing track on a switch ;) Heavy it is also, but rolls quite smoothly. The original idea was anyway to just have it standing there and looking nice, but the temptation was too strong.

And yes, I’m aware of the fact that it is too high and too narrow :) I might consider doing an 8-wide version (or a lower one, if I change the nose), but we’ll see.

Here is a short “LEGO-friendly” version (made only digitally, though):

T-bane (Oslo underground, 1. series) ------------------------------------

This was is my second MOC. A very simplified version of an already simple model, which is soon to be obsoleted and replaced by a new fancy type. The roof can be taken off and I tried to make the interior as accurately as I could in the minifig scale (no pictures of the interior yet :/).

I ended up with the 8-wide version, since it is the closest to the original proportions... the 6-wide might fit better into LEGO-layouts, but the 8-wide is much nicer:

I made a small 4-wide version (1:100) as part of a model that’s permanently exhibited in the Department of informatics in Oslo (but that’s another topic :) ). I had to cheat a little bit and do bad things (I’ll go and punish myself!), but it was worth:

Wooden houses ------------- These are typical Norwegian wooden houses, usually found in dark red, dark yellow, white and dark blue. Sometimes they are built in a row, so I decided to make such a row myself. There is a lot of room for details, but I haven’t had time since the exhibition at that time was only a few days away:

Now to the DCC-question. I have 4 motors with DZ123 (I use two of dem on the BM71 and two of them on another big train). While reading the (very) old posts in this group, I saw other people experienced the same problems as me, that is motors starting to “choke” after a while, more or less at the same time. I haven’t found any conclusion (other than that it is probably overheating), so I was wondering whether someone managed to solve this problem and, if so, how? The nice thing is that, when it happens, I can simply switch to analog control and the motors work like a charm (although all the fun is gone).

Cheers :) Matija

FuT lugnet.trains

-- Matija