 Trains / 28579
Re: New Train MOCs in 8mm scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 23:41:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote:
Here's an update on the Train MOCs I've built recently.

Finally completed the British Class 14 Diesel loco with BBB wheels and extending
rods.  Added the green grille tiles too:

Please let me know if there's anything there that inspires you.

Mark

Hi Mark,

While you've captured a lot of the details of the Class 14 quite well I can't
help but feel that the model is let down by a few points. I really like your
grille designs, particularly the slight outsetting. Also the handles on the door
look really good. The use of technic for greebling underneath is excellent.

However, the stepped plate roof really looks out of place with all the tiles
everywhere else on the MOC. I'm curious why you didn't hinge tiles and use 1x1
slopes for the windscreens. I don't see any reason why this couldn't be done.
Likewise the funnel thing in front of (behind?) the cab is not terribly well
accurate. I'm also curious why you left off the handrails for the steps.

It's a good build but I think with a little more work it could be excellent.

Tim

At the time I built that part of it, I did not have the clear 1x1 slopes to do
it.  Certainly something I shall consider, though the windows are such an odd
shape on the real engine that it needs SNOT 1x2 clear bricks as well, and the
cheeses could only be used where the height of the window part is a multiple of
2 plates.  It's a common feature of many British locos that the front windows
are higher than the side ones.  There's also a strength issue in most of the
model, though the cab currently suffers least from this.

Also 1x1 slopes for the cab roof edges is something I could do, or perhaps 1x3
curved slopes if they're not too deep.  It's more difficult to get rid of the
studs on the bonnets because everything underneath them is SNOT, leaving only a
couple of studs to attach the 4x6 and 6x10 plates.  The bonnet tops should not
be any thicker, so that rules out adding a layer of tiles.  The attachment of
the tops has to fit round the SNOT bricks inside.

There would not be room inside for hinging tiles because there is a motor in the
cab, since the engine requires it in order not to present a load to the train
motor in another vehicle that might cause derailment if the loco were pushed
into a curve.  There are wires mounted within the buffer beams at each end, so
the train motor vehicle can attach at either end.  The course of the wires
through the body to the cab motor is a further constraint on space inside.  The
2 plugs sit on top of the motor, taking up space in the cab roof, but there's
nowhere else for them with all the SNOT.

The handrails would have to be flex rods, which don't occur in white.  3.2mm
tubes are too thick for them and I'm waiting to be able to get a large supply of
flex tubing before I start permanently bending any tubes.  Also the middle steps
would prevent the wheelbase flexibility that is necessary to get round the sharp
curves, which is why they're cut off just below the solebar.  Mounting around a
rotating cam has proved impossible!

The exhaust funnel might benefit from 1x1 slopes in green on the sides, but how
else could it be more accurate?  a piece inside it clips the top of the bonnet
to parts inside the cab to hold it together (another consequence of the quantity
of SNOT under the bonnets).

Thanks for the comments, I'll consider them for a further mod to the loco.

Mark