 Trains / 28307
Re: Missing R/C Trains on Lego.com and AFOL "Dream Train Set"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2006 05:28:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
   Clifton D. Chambers wrote:
   Happy Holidays Everyone,

Does anyone know what is going on with the R/C trains (7898& 7897) on LEGO.com?

::snip::

   There are 1000+ pieces in the set, and we’ve done a good job of getting a bunch of good pieces in the box. At the moment, I cannot find any good public information about the set even though information about it was released at BrickFest 2006.

Clifton,

You’re right that battery trains are “missing” from the menus on the trains page at LEGO at the time being, though this seems to be little more than a website glitch. Right now, the items are out of stock, as were many sets this holiday season. Since they sold very well, I don’t imagine LEGO will discontinue the R/C sets, though I suppose one never knows.

Rumor has it that the future of the 9V system hinges somewhat on how the “Factory” train set sells. Indeed, and somewhat intentionally, there has been very little word on this set. The Brickfest keynote indicated there would be no information formally released about the set before January 2007 or so, and there were to be no pictures posted of the set online. Through the LUGNET grapevine, it sounds like the set will have a mostly-red color scheme and will include some train doors. A recap of things is here: http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=28050&t=i&v=a

It’s anyone’s guess as to what the new set will cost. I’m guessing around $150 in the US and not more than $200. Stuff like wagon bases, wheelsets, couplers, and electrical parts are all expensive, so the more of that there is, the higher the price will be.

So, for now, we have to wait for more word from LEGO. Meanwhile, you’re welcome to build my cheery candy-striped switcher (a holiday MOC available from LEGO Factory) if you want to... Pictures and information at

http://save.9vtrains.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20061215200138254

Happy holidays and building to you! Jordan